Zoe Catherine Kendall, artist, writer and human...


Wednesday, 15 September 2010

On pondering a lack of meaning...




Ever get that feeling that nothing is of any particular significance, that nothing seems to hold any genuine meaning? Tell me about it, and boy doesn't it suck?!

It's even more frustrating when you feel as though you really do attempt to engage with life, imbuing meaning in each of your actions, but still with no real gain.

Sometimes it seems as though if you do care or you do believe in something, then you are merely paving the way for its deconstruction. What's the message here – that we should all be feelingless zombies who don't care either way?! That redemption comes from zero expectation? Or perhaps that we are looking in the wrong places for this supposedly enriching food for the soul...

Yeah, you see what i'm doing here, i'm going back on myself, i've already sung the praises of a life lacking in the foolish pursuit of some bigger meaning, i've previously posted about how it's in the dirth of meaning that we may find ourselves, so what's with all my whining? Life, I guess...
                            
Thankfully, I can find some reprieve in Gold Panda's Lonely Owl...


This melodic tune seems to encapsulate both the repetitive nature of life coupled with a sense of focusing in on certain details at certain times, and then focusing out again. It seems to ebb and flow through narrative and quiet, giving the sense of a journey which is sometimes serene, sometimes energetic, and always full of personality. I can imagine the story of this lonely owl, gently making its way through day and night, stumbling upon other things and other places as it goes, but always coming back to this journey that it is making by itself.

Perhaps I ought to take some inspiration from the lonely owl, look for meaning in my day to day living and not expect too much, but enjoy those little deviations and undulations in my story as and when they happen to pass by and stop in.

If meaning doesn't force me to surrender myself, I won't go looking. And I can be sure of its presence in all the minute details of my mundane existence. Mmmm, just about time to make a nice cup of tea... ;-)



No comments:

Post a Comment