Zoe Catherine Kendall, artist, writer and human...


Sunday, 13 June 2010

Fly me to the zoo



















This is the next piece in my body piece collection 'More than myself; these animals in me.' It's a crow's wing harness, made from leather, crows wings and lots and lots of thread. I laboured over the making of these wings for some time, carefully sewing the crows wings to a leather lining before putting the harness together. I am seduced by the idea of dedicating time and process to the creation of a hand made object, it seems to me to challenge the concept of preciousness that we attribute to art, jewelley, and every grey area between.  

The viewer is invited to consider the wings as a mere object, evocative in their state of being, but also as a conduit for masquerade, allowing for an occurance in the mind which could gesture into a performance space.

No comments:

Post a Comment